[NCLUG] Wanted: DMT DSL Modem. Cisco 678?

Jamie Fishback jamiefishback at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 10:41:15 MST 2005

Bob, who is your ISP?  Normally with packet loss there are several
things that could be wrong.  From just the brief description that you
talked about (reseting the modem helped) there could be few options.
One, it could be a line issue, you are still with QWest, but switching
from CAP to DMT does change somethings.  Two, the modem could be
bad/flaky  but normally this is a consistent packet loss and resetting
doesn't help for very long.  The last thing, the ISP could have
something set up wrong on their end from changing from CAP to DMT.

As far as modems go, ActionTec would be my suggestion.  They are easy
to setup and maintain.  I have both the 678 and Actiontec gt701 and I
have never had any problems with the gt701.  I have a small network
setup of 3 computers, one being wireless, and there has only been one
occasion where I've had to reconnect the modem to the internet.

Hopefully this helps.
Jamie