[NCLUG] Re: Broadband ISP options in Fort Collins

Frank Whiteley techzone at greeleynet.com
Tue Jan 18 09:43:46 MST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Frank Whiteley" <techzone at greeleynet.com>
To: "Northern Colorado Linux Users Group" <nclug at nclug.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 09:22
Subject: Re: [NCLUG] Re: Broadband ISP options in Fort Collins

When a lot of phone wire bundles were pulled in the '70's the PUC mandated
bridge taps along utilities right-of-ways so that new
construction/developements could immediately have dial tone.  2200ft of
bridge taps are the upper limit on a wire run for qualifying DSL pairs.
Qwest techs have been removing extraneous bridge taps (and loading coils) in
several areas along the Front Range when they had discretionary time.
Furthermore, Qwest relaxed the dB loss limits, so previously failed loops
now qualify.  This is in addtion to deployment of remote terminals, which
Qwest abandoned during CY-2003 due to budgetary constraints, but have been
appearing pretty regularly in the past year.

Frank Whiteley