[NCLUG] forwarding email, was Broadband ISP in Fort Collins

Matt rosing at peakfive.com
Tue Jan 18 10:57:30 MST 2005

 > If you only have an IP address then you get none of the above.  You
 > only get a cord to the Internet.  That by itself is insufficient for
 > the above.  But the long time Internet user can provide their own
 > infrastructure.  GNU/Linux and *BSD are both platforms of choice for
 > the small operator.

So I've done all that, and am happy with it, but I did run into one
problem with email and wonder how other people solve it.

I couldn't send email to myself without it getting tagged by my own
spam filter, spamassassin, because the ip address I got from comcast
was in this huge block of addresses that some black list considers a
spam source.  So I ended up having to authenticate/forward my mail
through comcast's mail machines.  This is the only thing I use comcast
for, other than getting an ip address.  Are there reasonably priced
mail forwarding servers?  $20/year to forward email would be cheaper
than the extra $20/month I pay comcast over the price of qwest's basic
ip service plus dsl.

Matt