[NCLUG] Broadband ISP options in Fort Collins

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Tue Jan 18 11:29:08 MST 2005

Rich Young wrote:

> Stephen-
> 	I'm also out of DSL range and not served by a cable internet
> provider.  Here's what I've found in my attempts to find broadband in my
> area:
> Satellite ($hundreds to start up, roughly $60/month thereafter.  Latency
> issues)
> Mesa Networks wireless ($100ish to start, $35-60/month thereafter.
> Serves eastern FC, but not my area)
> CWX wireless ($125 plus equipment to start, $30-40/month for 128-256K
> connections. Requires line-of-sight to ridgeline behind Horsetooth.)
>
> I don't remember from your original question if 256 is fast enough for
> you; I think Quail Hollow is off Overland between Prospect and Mulberry,
> but I might be wrong about that.  (Can you give us a marketing-free fix
> on your location, like cross-streets or something?) If that's really
> where you are, Mesa won't work (too far west) and you might be too close
> to the foothills to see over them to the CWX antennae above Horsetooth
> (can you see Horsetooth Rock from your house, for example?).  They have
> a map of the antennae locations on their website (cwx.net).

256 is a little slow than I'd like...

I (will be!) located literally just south of Drake (yard pretty much
backs onto it), between Shields and Overland. The street is Fox Run Ct.
I'm not giving out the number simply because I haven't moved yet (or
closed on the house!)

I can easily see Horsetooth rock. Anything along the whole length of
that ridge is probably fine. If you're talking about a ridge behind it,
I'm probably screwed.

And actually, I'm pretty certain I can get cable Internet - but they
still appear to have a very strict no-servers no-static-ip policy
according to their customer service people I just talked to.