[NCLUG] Broadband ISP options in Fort Collins

Rich Young rich at experienceplus.com
Tue Jan 18 12:35:09 MST 2005

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the no-servers rule applies to both cable and
satellite....
CWX would be workable provided you don't have serious tree issues, but
you say
they're too slow.  I dunno, man, it sounds like you really shouldn't buy
this
house -- or talk the seller into coming down in price enough to finance
a fiber
installation ;^)

Seriously, though, one idea I've considered is cable, plus colocating a
server
at work or at a friend's house, somewhere there are more options.  That
would
give you the torrent-capable bandwidth you desire, and the ability to
operate
a low-bandwidth server to fuel your need for autonomy.

Similarly, you could purchase more than one service, or a bigger product
like T1
or fiber, and defray the costs by sharing with neighbors.

It sounds as if you're going to have to get that creative if you can't
get DSL.
There don't appear to be any easy answers that meet all of your needs on
shoestring.

I'm Rich Young, and I approved this message.