[NCLUG] Switching IPs & Maintaining Connections

hugh at mahon.cwx.net hugh at mahon.cwx.net
Sun Jan 30 12:09:18 MST 2005

Hi Jeff,

> I have lots of virtual desktops each set up to "do their own
> thing", e.g. one with email, irc, web browser, a ton of xterms,
> etc.
>
> I also switch IPs all the time: ethernet at home, wireless @
> Mugs or wherever, dialup cell when moving.
>
> The problem is that each time I switch IPs, I need to restart a
> lot of these connections. The xterms are particularily a pain
> to re-setup. I know I could use `screen` for this, but that
> only gets me half-way, as I'd still have to restart `screen` on
> each of them.
>
> I was wondering if there was some way to proxy this via
> localhost or something, where I could just change my external
> IP, but not lose any of the connections. Or perhaps there is
> another way...

Hmm, do you want to connect to sessions on a remote machine (e.g.,
access things on your home system when away from home?) or have things
running locally on your mobile computer?  If the latter I think I'd
need to learn more about what you're doing.  If it's the former,
here's what I've done:

I use VNC running on systems at home for such sessions, so I can start
a session and then can access those things (xterms, web browsers,
etc.) from anywhere I can get a network connection.  When away from my
home LAN I can set up a VPN connection via OpenVPN and even if I
hibernate my machine when I bring it back up the connection to VNC is
restored.

> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Jeff