[NCLUG] Re: Greeley

F.L. Whiteley techzone at greeleynet.com
Mon Jul 18 11:10:15 MDT 2005

Not quite that grim Michael.  Wet feedlots and dairy farms can cause some
odor, as does the sewage treatment plant.  The meat packing house is not so
bad and the Great Western sugar refinery is no longer cooking.  There are
sigificant odor control ordinances on the books, including a hot line.  Some
significant penalties have been assessed in the past 3-4 years.  Hardly
notice much, unlike 10 years ago.

There are not a lot of high-tech jobs here, however, there are 5-6 software
companies and three are quite successful in their niches.  There are enough
computer service and networking techs that no one makes a lot of money.
Same with web developers.  The last local retail PC store is now going to
service only, leaving big box retail or on-line virtually the only sources
of hardware.  If State Farm, Smith & Co, the school district, community
college, city, county, or university is hiring, you might find something
attractive and comensurate with the cost of living, but west of I-25 is
certainly more conducive.  The empty former-HP facility here looked like a
prospect for Intel (moving out of HP Fort Collins), but now that Agilent is
moving out of Fort Collins, my guess is that Intel will go there.

Frank Whiteley