[NCLUG] Desire suggestions for college laptop

Paul Wehr wehrp at mac.com
Thu Jun 23 17:04:36 MDT 2005

>At 2:46 PM -0600 23/06/2005, BJ Tiemessen wrote:
>><snip>
>Unfortunately many of the programs used in a college environment
>only run on Windoze so this ruled out the Apple iBook.
>><snip>
>>BJ
>
>BJ,
>
>Would you please elaborate on this point and provide a sense as to
>the names of some of the *many* programs.
>
>Best regards,
>Joseph

Indeed, please elaborate. Certainly there are multiple programs that
run on Linux that suffice for most general-studies programs at the
university level. For that matter many (no cost programs) that run on
Mac OS X that can masquerade as Windoze programs, not counting M$
(cost programs) that--well--behave as Windoze programs.

I know of only too many programs, specifically programmed to work in
the M$ environment, that simply _don't_ work. I don't have any faith
in programmers using the M$ environment or the M$ (make a quick buck)
environment itself. I'm thinking here of the databases put together
by huge database companies. "You'll be up and running in a year,"
pronounced five years ago and they are still working on it.

Paul