[NCLUG] Desire suggestions for college laptop

Onyx onyx at frii.com
Fri Jun 24 08:40:50 MDT 2005

Brian,
Here is my opinion.  I hope it helps in making your decision about
which laptop you should buy for your daughter.

Having flirted (and slept) with many operating systems (Windozzze [of
course!], FreeBSD, Linux, OS X, Solaris, etc.), but especially having
run the many flavors of Windozzze over my younger years, I have come
to realize that the Mac (running under OS X!) is the far superior
choice if you are going to spend money on a laptop with a
*commercial* operating system.  Now, there are *many* reasons why I
have come to this conclusion (BSD kernel, no device drivers [things
just work!], no viruses/worms [99.9% of the time!]... just to name a
few) and if you would like me to elaborate for you, please let me
know personally, and I would love to.  ;-)  But let me say that in my
experience, nothing has matched the reliability, security, &
functionality than my Apple iBook running under OS X.  Also, I have
yet to find a piece of software that I needed for a certain function
that did not already exist for the Mac.  I believe people who have
laid claims of 'lack of software choices' or 'missing software
titles' for the Mac, have usually been biased over the years of
Windozzze using (*shrug*).

Anyway, that is my two cents...

Macs & OS X send all other commercial machines & operating systems
to /dev/null.  Can I hear a 'Amen!'?

         ---> Onyx