[NCLUG] Re: [LUGOJ] Fedora Core 3 Printer and Sound issues

ben bullard ben_bullard9 at comcast.net
Sun Mar 6 11:03:21 MST 2005

Steve,

Here are some things I did as per suggestions from James Cliburn of
logoj. How do I run the alsa mixer? I do have alsa in mu system.

Definitely could use help and/or tutorial with commands. A month ago I
was a typical point and click xp user so this is very new to me. I will
check out that link you sent.

I ran the commands for re printer as root. cpsd is  running. When I
entered the command "#  chkconfig cups on" nothing happened. When
setting up a printing queue in printer configuration in the panel
"queue" it lists a Lexmark Z55 but in the panel where you select a
"printer model"  [selecting driver?] it does not list a Z55 it has among
others Z52, Z53, and Z82 none of which has printed a test page. I have
downloaded a driver from Lexmark for Redhat but haven't been able to
figure out how to get it to the "printer model" panel.

Re sound, I did as you suggested with the "volume control" set all to
max [up all the way] and maxed the volume control in the lower right
corner as well as my speaker knob.  When I execute "#
/usr/bin/system-config-soundcard" nothing happens, perhaps significantly
I do not get a panel that tells me "no sound card identified".

Thanks,
Ben Bullard,
newbie