[NCLUG] parallel processing users?

Evelyn Mitchell efm at tummy.com
Fri Oct 14 14:13:17 MDT 2005

I'd be interested in a presentation (perhaps a panel discussion) on
clustering (compute, grid, high availability).

Would anyone else be interested?

Matt/Bob: would you be available to present?

I'd volunteer jafo for talking about High availability.

Evelyn Mitchell
efm

* On 2005-10-14 13:05 Matt <rosing at peakfive.com> wrote:
>  > John Gilmore wrote:
>  > > Matt wrote:
>  > > > Is there anyone lurking out there that does parallel processing in the
>  > > > Northern Colorado area?  I'm trying to find like minded people, maybe
>  > > > we can help each other.
>  > >
>  > > What exactly do you mean? Are you looking for people who are running dual
>  > > processors?
>  >

> I do contract work for PNNL, a Dept of Energy lab in Washington
> state.  They have a ~2000 processor(itanium) machine and it's used for
> doing modeling in areas like chemistry and environmental cleanup.
> Some people use just a few processors, some use the whole machine all
> day, some use 200 processors for a week.  I do a lot of profiling and
> looking at hardware counters and rewriting code to make things more
> efficient.
>
> Anyway, performance is what it's all about.  I'm interested in finding
> people that use parallel processing because a single processor can't
> go fast enough.  Could be distributed jobs, or tightly communicating
> models or data mining or computational biology or using specialized
> processors or who knows what.  I'm open to anything.  It just seems
> that now, since dual core processors are coming out, it might be the
> case that making faster chips is harder than parallel chips, so
> parallel processing might become more important.
>
>  > Or are you fishing for people who work with "grid" queues of many
>  > machines doing distributed job processing?  This would describe my
>  > work situation.  I have been managing large compute pools for a number
>  > of years.
>
> Sure, if there's a desire to make things go faster. If you have a
> hundred blades and everyone's happy with the turnaround time then I
> guess it's not that interesting but if there are people that can see a
> real benefit to making it go 10 times faster then it's interesting.
>
>  > Or tightly coupled parallel processing such as Beowulf clusters?
>  > Always been on my list to play with but never had the time to do so.
>
> That's what I'm more familiar with, but I'd like to learn about new
> things.
>
> Matt

This email is: [ ] actionable [x] fyi [ ] social
Response needed: [ ] yes [x] up to you [ ] no
Time-sensitive: [ ] immediate [x] soon [ ] none

                            http://www.tummy.com/