[NCLUG] GPG signing night?

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Mon Sep 26 22:41:58 MDT 2005

On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 10:30:51PM -0600, Jeffrey D. Means wrote:
> JOOC: What is the '4-line signature rule of thumb.'?
> --Jeff
> On Mon, 2005-09-26 at 16:58 -0600, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 02:07:00PM -0600, Jeffrey D. Means wrote:
> > >I would like to request a GPG signing night to exchange and elevate GPG
> > >keys and key ring trustworthiness.
> >
> > They happen *EVERY* Tuesday night.  Just show up with your ID and
> > fingerprint and ask to get signed.  However, they're only open to people
> > that respect the 4-line signature rule of thumb.  ;-P

I think he's referring to the McQuary Limit:

http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/M/McQuary-limit.html

There's another rule of thumb that states that no signature block should
ever exceed the length of the actual (useful) content of your message.
Thus, "JOOC: What is the '4-line signature rule of thumb.'?" would place
a significant limitation on an appropriate sig block length.
Personally, I think that's taking it a bit far, and would reduce most
sig blocks to nothing more than a name.  I enjoy reading the occasional
clever sig block, as long as it's not long enough to become tedious.

--
Chad Perrin
[ CCD CopyWrite | http://ccd.apotheon.org ]