[NCLUG] Qwest DSL w/ PPPoE(oA)

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Sun Apr 2 23:58:38 MDT 2006

Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> He figured he'd use OpenVPN in tap mode and the bonding driver, which
> should work just great.  In fact, with all the problems I've been having
> recently on both our comcast and DSL lines, maybe I should set that sort of
> thing up as well.  Though I don't really want to load-balance our lines
> because one of the lines is primarily there for VoIP.  Plus, they're
> totally asymmetric on the inbound.  They're fairly symmetric on the
> outbound.  I do want to dedicate some bandwidth to VoIP though.

As a followup to this, I have the OpenVPN/tap/bonding setup all working
between a couple of test machines, and the concept seems to work.

The problem is that the bonding driver seems broken - it can't detect
link failure. Yes, I've configured ARP monitoring instead of MII
monitoring, but bonding seems to ignore the failures. This appears to be
a fairly commonly reported problem, with no solution (at least, not on
the sourceforge bonding site; still searching)