[NCLUG] Qwest DSL w/ PPPoE(oA)

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Mon Apr 3 22:13:38 MDT 2006

Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 02, 2006 at 11:58:38PM -0600, Stephen Warren wrote:
>> monitoring, but bonding seems to ignore the failures. This appears to be
>> a fairly commonly reported problem, with no solution (at least, not on
>> the sourceforge bonding site; still searching)
>
> Weird, because I used to use exclusively ARP monitoring to fail over
> between my wired and wireless, and it seemed to work just fine.

It may be due to using TAP adapters within the bond; not all Ethernet
interfaces implement the statistics that bonding uses to work out which
interfaces are working.

Also, the bonding code that detects ARP timeouts is actually different
between load-balancing and failover style configurations, which might
contribute something.

Also, I noticed that the "random" MACs that the tap/bond interfaces
selected might have been clashing (no idea how traffic was passing) so
that might have confused things.

> I more
> recently switched to MII monitoring and it also seems to work fine.
> I'm not sure you'd be able to use MII monitoring.
>
> Probably what you'd really want to do is set up OpenVPN with an up script
> that ifenslaves the interface, and a down script the de-ifenslaves the
> interface from the bonding, and then just ignore the bonding driver's
> fault healing.  You'll need to use the ping timeout stuff.

That's a good idea. Actually, MII monitoring might work if I remove the
--persist-tun option that I had in the configuration I copied for
testing (don't recall why I even used that option...) (I think tap maps
open/close state to link up/down...) The option also seems to make
up/down scripts run at non-useful times too!