[NCLUG] Ousting Exchange

DJ Eshelman djsbignews at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 16:05:26 MDT 2006

Hey all -

Long time no see - Tuesdays have been in conflict schedule-wise for many
months now...

Anyway, I have a client with virtually no budget that is wanting to get some
groupware functionality out of Outlook 2003.

No, they don't want to migrate to a Linux platform (of course) for the
desktops but I'm wondering if there are any good solutions out there for
doing Exchange features without the per-user price tag of Windows Small
Business or standard server.

I was looking at Scalix (.com) - nice that they have a 25 user 'free'
edition but I have no clue as to whether it works, if it's worth the time
testing, etc.

I've also heard that Novell's 'granted-thru-acquisition' groupware features
(aka SuSE and Ximian) are available but I've never gotten a clear picture on
how licensing works with that, if licensing exists at all (someone told me
Novell was doing the Red Hat 'pay for support but not for software' thing).

Any thoughts?  Other workable solutions that won't rack up tons of support
or setup hours for a 5 person office?

you all rule

-DJ