[NCLUG] Ousting Exchange

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sun Apr 23 01:26:50 MDT 2006

On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 01:13:44AM -0600, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 04:33:02PM -0600, Chad Perrin wrote:
> >. . . or you could use vanilla Debian Stable, which is legendary for its
> >long release cycle.  The current Stable release, Sarge, was moved to
> >Stable only last year.  You've got a while yet.
>
> Nothing like with CentOS or Ubuntu, I hope for the sake of Debian users,
> because there really should be a choice between "absolute latest" and "5
> years old".  With CentOS you can pick from several releases which will have
> updates for 10 years, and you don't have to roll your release when the next
> version comes out.
>
> When Sarge rolled, I had a pretty high percentage of systems with problems
> that had to be manually corrected when dist-upgrading.
>
> Personally, I think that Ubuntu 6.06 and CentOS are better choices these
> days.  Of course, they weren't available back when I deployed those
> boxes...

I tend to figure that when Stable rolls over, it's time to replace the
server, anyway -- if only to ensure good uptime by having hardware that
won't implode in the tremors of the first stiff wind to blow past the
building.  For stuff that should be more current, I just use Testing.
The ability to pin packages to given releases is nice, too, and helps
with the transition process when the release rolls over, as long as I
plan ahead.

"The measure on a man's real character is what he would do
if he knew he would never be found out." - Thomas McCauley