[NCLUG] Ousting Exchange

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Tue Apr 25 06:33:17 MDT 2006

Chad Perrin wrote:
> Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> In the "real world", though, where the pointy-haired bosses don't have
> everyone's family jewels in a vice 24/7, it's really not that big a
> deal.  In other words, it's technically not bad, but when bureaucrats
> get involved I can definitely see it becoming an issue.

Everyone will have different ideas what "real world" means.  But let
me assure you that large companes such as the one I work for do not
like things changing outside of their control.  They like to do things
on their own schedule.  Security updates are one of those things.
Therefore backports of security fixes only without new features are
the general rule.

There are always subtle changes that break things during system
upgrades.  It is frequently bad coding or bugs which relied upon
undefined behavior.  But since there is a lot of that there is always
something that breaks along the way.

Bob