[NCLUG] Question on Cable modems

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat Apr 29 01:43:32 MDT 2006

On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 10:38:52PM +0000, bsimpson at att.net wrote:
>to my PC.  I would like to connect up a second computer.

This depends on the capabilities of the cable-modem.  Some of them act just
as a bridge between your LAN and the cable network, and probably won't work
for what you want to do.  Some act as a router with NAT, heck some even
come with a built-in switch or hub so you can just directly plug in
multiple computers to the cable modem.

If you have one of the former types, you will probably want to get
something like a Linksys WRT54GL, for like $60, which runs Linux and will
do the NATing and firewalling, and has a 4-port switch and wireless and
lots of other capabilities you may or may not need.

Thanks,
 It is far from clear whether "good intentions plus stupidity" or "evil
 intentions plus intelligence" have wrought more harm in the world.
                 --- Domer, The Logic of Failure