[NCLUG] Difficulty setting up Samba server on Suse Linux 10.0

Vincent Randal vtrandal at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 8 16:13:37 MDT 2006

Hello,

I am new to this group. I hope to attend your meeting tonight. I have a problem
setting up a Samba server on Suse Linux 10.0. Is it broken in this
distribution?

I have searched the web and found others cannot get it to work either. And I
have purchased two books and followed their instructions and it still does not
work. So I think it's broken.

Tracing with Ethereal I can see how far it gets and where the problem seems to
be but I don't know how to fix it - yet. The "Session Setup AndX" request is
successful for the requested user. But the subsequent "Tree Connect AndX"
request for the path fails with "STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED".

So I am stumped even after going over the smbpasswd command many times. Any
help, comments, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I will be looking
on Novell's site to see if this is a known issue.

Thanks,

Vincent Randal
Longmont, Colorado