[NCLUG] XFS, "Can't read superblock"

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Dec 6 04:32:47 MST 2006

On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 08:58:37PM -0300, jeff wrote:
>You may want to try `ddrescue` instead of plain old `dd` as it does a
>better job of reading when there are errors.

Speaking of which, I noticed this newest 3ware RAID card has a
user-settable option for what it will do in the event of a read error while
reconstructing an array.  I would have liked this recently because I had a
RAID-1 array where one drive dropped out of the array, and when I put in a
replacement it turned out that a sector on another drive couldn't be read.

I'd rather have corruption in a single file, than have the whole array
unrecoverable...  At the time the backups I had of that system were all on
the better part of a thousand CDs, so I really would have preferred to not
have to re-rip them.  I've since taken backups to several 250GB SATA
drives.

 A little help at the right time is better than a lot of help at the wrong
 time.