[NCLUG] XFS, "Can't read superblock"

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Fri Dec 8 08:02:03 MST 2006

On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 02:58:11AM -0700, Scott Kleihege wrote:
> Chad Perrin wrote:
> >It's now in the middle of a ddrescue that has been running since
> >yesterday morning.  There are, apparently, many many errors on this
> >drive.  I'd like to know how the heck it got to this state without dear
> >ol' dad noticing.
>
> I've been seeing this article over at rootprompt.org quite a bit recently:
>
> http://geeksaresexy.blogspot.com/2006/01/freeze-your-hard-drive-to-recover-data.html
>
> The evidence is somewhat anecdotal, but it's probably worth a try.  Just
> don't forget the zip-lock to keep the moisture out and let it freeze all
> night.

A friend of mine who follows geeksaresexy semi-regularly pointed me at
that.  ddrescue wasn't working, and Dad and I decided to try freezing
the drive already.  Thanks, though.

"There comes a time in the history of any project when it becomes necessary
to shoot the engineers and begin production." - MacUser, November 1990