[NCLUG] Fedora 6 and the RaLink rt2500 wireless card

David Braley davbraley at comcast.net
Sat Dec 9 13:40:22 MST 2006

> This sounds like an interrupt handling issue. I suppose the NIC ends up
> sharing an interrupt with the VGA card, which is why things only go
> south when you run X.

After some prodding, I found both the wireless nic and video sharing the
same interrupt number 16. I have read somewhere this is not necessarily
a bad thing, but could be tricky for the kernel driver writer. Neither
device share any address space.

> Can you somehow re-assign the IRQs so that VGA and NIC don't share?

Good question. Maybe there is some kind of kernel parameter I could pass
at boot forcing one device or the other to another interrupt number.
There must be someplace to force the device to use a different interrupt
at startup, possibly in a script that loads the module. I better look at
the rest of the resources and find me some free IRQ's before I break
something else :)

> I don't know how you'd do that in Linux. However, your BIOS might have
> some options you can tweak...

Not the bios in this machine. I am the proud owner of an Averatec
AV3270-EH1, or what I affectionately call the "El Cheapo Deluxe!" No
such power in the bios of this mighty machine for tweaks!

The driver for this card is under heavy development so I imagine it is a
fast moving target. I might be able to just wait a week or so, download
and install a newer cvs version of it, and my problems will just simply
go away. If I can't figure this one out, I will definitely contact
someone close to the project and let them know what I am going through.

Thanks for your help. Take care.

David

To unsubscribe, subscribe, or modify
your settings, go to: