[NCLUG] Fedora 6 and the RaLink rt2500 wireless card

David Braley davbraley at comcast.net
Sun Dec 10 00:34:30 MST 2006

Bill Thorson wrote:
> David,
>
> I have a laptop with FC5 and the rt2500 wireless device.  I do
> checkout the cvs tree and build the driver but have not experienced
> what you are.  I do not use ifup but use the gnome network management
> interface.  I also built and use the Ralink supplied utility.  It's
> really great for scanning and attaching to found networks.  I think
> the interrupt thought have merit because I've never experienced any
> real problems with this device under FC4 and FC5.
>
> Bill

Bill,

I think my interrupt problem was unique to my particular laptop, and how
the harware/resources are set-up. I too have read about others having
success with the rt2500 in FC5 and FC6 on their laptops, just not with
my particular model.

My window manager is presently KDE and I have installed two network
managers called KwifiManager and the other one is something like
KNetworkManager. Both are unusable and are not able to see the wireless
interface (even though it is working properly). Not sure yet how to get
them to work, yet.

I will try out the RaLink utility. At the moment, I boot into run-level
3 and manually ifup the interface before starting X. Thanks for the tip
about the utility.

David