[NCLUG] Fedora 6 and the RaLink rt2500 wireless card

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sun Dec 10 11:52:22 MST 2006

On Sun, Dec 10, 2006 at 11:16:26AM -0700, David Braley wrote:

> There is some very frustrating weirdness about Fedora I still can not
> figure out. One thing that is really irritating is if I log into X as a
> user, in this case the user "david", open a terminal and su in as root
> or sudo a command, I have strangely limited powers to administer the
> system. Networking tools/commands like ifup and ifdown are not
> available. This is probably a bash config thingy or maybe it has
> something to do with SELinux that is set-up by default on installation.
> Who knows. THAT IS THE PROBLEM! Fedora does not behave like other
> distro's, so when a poor sap like me moves over, it is like I am not in
> Linux anymore. What little I have managed to learn does not seem to
> help, well to be honest, most of it does.  : )

That's probably the biggest reason I never much liked Fedora, or any of
the other RPM-based distros, as much as others (like Slackware and
Debian): they all act like their own little OSes completely distinct
from other Linux distributions, to varying degrees.  Worse, they all
tend to change fundamental behavior a lot from one release to the next,
and they all seem to encourage distro-specific configuration tools over
underlying, supposedly universal configuration methods that are common
in non-RPM distros.  I must say, though, that I have definitely found
myself with a preference for Fedora over Mandr(ake|iva).

"There comes a time in the history of any project when it becomes necessary
to shoot the engineers and begin production." - MacUser, November 1990