[NCLUG] Fedora 6 and the RaLink rt2500 wireless card

David Braley davbraley at comcast.net
Sun Dec 10 12:41:02 MST 2006

Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Yes, you will need to rebuild it for each kernel update. The kernel
> doesn't keep a stable ABI (except by accident)...

I had a feeling this was the case. I have read that Debian has some kind
of tool called "ifrename" that can help to manage this kind of thing,
letting a system identify a resource based on a unique identifier like a
mac address. Of course, that is Debian.

> Are you doing 'su root' or 'su - root' ? Try the - in there... stupidly
> the default is to not have /sbin/ and /usr/sbin/ in users path's. This
> means if you su without making it a login shell (so it sets the path as
> it would be for a root login) you don't have any of those commands in
> your path.
>
> It's likely just the path issue above. Nothing to do with selinux or
> anything. Perhaps the default should be to have sbin in users path's,
> but Fedora is behaving just exactly as might be expected IMHO.

You are right! It is a path thing. If I "sudo /sbin/ifup ra0" (to start
my wireless card), put in my password, it works! So specifying the full
path does work. Why does Fedora leave out /sbin and /usr/sbin for users?

> For mplayer and the like, enable the livna repo:
> http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/UsingLivna
> Then you can simply 'yum install mplayer'
>
> For flash see:
> http://macromedia.mplug.org/faq.html#fedora
>
> Fedora ships with the free gcj setup, so that might work for your java
> needs. If not, you can always get the rpm from sun.

Thanks for the links Kevin!

David