[NCLUG] Fedora 6 and the RaLink rt2500 wireless card

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Dec 11 12:04:59 MST 2006

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 11:45:18 -0700
perrin at apotheon.com (Chad Perrin) wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 10:48:15AM -0700, Stephen Warren wrote:
> >
> > Chad Perrin wrote:
> > > I don't want anyone to read this and think I'm specifically
> > > anti-RH/Fedora, anti-Mandr(ake|iva), and/or anti-SuSE.  I found
> > > that the way other distributions such as Debian, Gentoo,
> > > Slackware, and so on do things in terms of toolsets and
> > > configuration files is more to my taste.
> >
> > Out of curiosity (since I've never used Debian, Gentoo, or Slackware
> > after 1994), what is the distro-agnostic package that provides
> > standardized network configuration scripts across all of those
> > distros?
>
> There's always ifconfig (which can be used to change network
> configuration as well as to dump configuration to STDOUT).

Is there some issue with ifconfig on Fedora/RedHat systems?
It seems to work fine for me...

> More to
> the point, however, the configuration file is fairly standardized and
> easy to read and understand.  Thus, you can just edit the network
> configuration directly without having to go through several separate
> files in several different directories.  Even better, there are
> manpages in Debian at least for the format of various configuration
> files, so you don't have to rely on configuration scripts or find
> some hoary old neckbearded suspenders-wearing UNIX guru circa 1975
> living in the basement of your local university to figure out what
> options are available for network configuration files.

On my Fedora boxes:
/usr/share/doc/initscripts-<packageversion>/sysconfig.txt
has pretty complete docs on the format of
the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ files.

I often just edit those config files directly.
I'm not 100% sure when they introduced that format, but the initscripts
package has been around in redhat since at least 1997. I find it to be
pretty darn standard... :)

kevin