[NCLUG] Fedora 6 and the RaLink rt2500 wireless card

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Dec 12 08:49:50 MST 2006

On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 12:37:59PM -0700, Chad Perrin wrote:
>I never said it wasn't there or didn't work.  Please read previous

The point Kevin was trying to make is that you, in response to Stephen's
question about what the "standard" tool for network configuration (across
Gentoo, Debian, and Slackware) was, replied "ifconfig".  Obviously, that's
going to apply also to Mandrake, SuSE, Fedora, Red Flag, etc...

>messages where I made reference to the way RPM distros tend to encourage
>the use of distro-specific tools rather than more universal tools.

This just seems to be your perception.  As others have mentioned, the tools
in Red Hat modify it's configuration scripts, and they do not at all
preclude the modification of those config scripts directly.

>So now I should learn yet another documentation system?  I don't even

Debian also stores quite a lot of documentation in /usr/share/doc,
so this isn't a particularly Fedora "problem".  /usr/share/doc is *NOT* a
Fedora weirdness.  I will tend to look in "man" first and then
/usr/share/doc next.  I almost never look in info, except if I'm trying to
do something clever with gnumake.

Admittedly though, I'd like "man ifcfg" to show the list of configuration
directives I can put in ifcfg scripts.

>In Red Hat, sure, it's "standard".  It has also changed internally in
>that time, and it's not "standard" for anyone else in the form used by

What do you mean by "changed internally"?  ONBOOT=yes, BOOTPROTO=static,
IPADDR=, DEVICE=eth0, all these have been around since I started using Red
Hat 3.0.3, IIRC.  At the very least they've been that way for so long that
I don't remember them being any other way...  Yes, they probably have added
things to it like "MAC=" to support ifrename...

>Fedora/RHEL today.  If you're never going to use anything but
>Fedora/RHEL, that may be acceptable, but it gets kind of annoying when
>workign in an environment that involves more than one distribution.

Dude, Kevin works in an environment where he has to support pretty
much any distribution that someone is likely to install and then have
problems with...  And he's good at it.  If he doesn't have a problem
with it, there may not be a problem with it.  :-)

 Imagine what it would be like if TV actually were good. It would be the
 end of everything we know.  -- Marvin Minksy