[NCLUG] Fedora 6 and the RaLink rt2500 wireless card

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Dec 12 08:58:23 MST 2006

On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 09:39:36AM -0700, Stephen Warren wrote:
>I wrote our network scripts to handle this, but I don't think the
>regular Fedora scripts will rmmod/modprobe all the time...

Indeed, probably not.  In my wifiroamd setup, I have it rmmod the modules
and re-load them before it tries to configure the interface.  On my
ipw2200, it's rare that I need to do this, but I just kind of got into the
habit when I was running an atheros card for a while.  Doing the rmmod
seems to make things pretty solid though.  I basically never have to worry
about my network interface, if there's a functional network around,
wifiroamd will reliably use it.  If I get disconnected, it reconnects.
About the only thing I have to do is poke in new WEP or preferred network
status if I'm in a location I haven't been in.

So, doing an rmmod won't hurt and probably will help.

 -rw-rw-rw-:  File permissions of the beast.  (Chuck Phillips)
 mknod /dev/beast c 6 66