[NCLUG] Hard drive only Linux install.

Warren Turkal wt at penguintechs.org
Tue Dec 19 11:08:14 MST 2006

On Tuesday 19 December 2006 10:46, John L. Bass wrote:
> I've been doing this for years with RH and RC releases with very minor
> problems. You do need to install the correct X driver after the move, and
> reconfigure X. Other than that, it's been nearly transparent between
> machines. Much easier to just take the HDD out of a machine without media,
> install, and put back. Even for notebooks, as you can easily use the 2.5
> drive with an IDE adapter.

If you can get out of the initramfs, you are home free and can reconfigure
anything else. Usually, that just means that you need to make sure drivers
for you hard drive controller are in your initramfs as everything else should
already be taken care of for you. Even with that, most distributions make
very generic initramfses that include most hard drive controller drivers
anyway.

Also, it may be easier if you use labels or UUID to mount volumes if you don't
use something like evms or lvm to manage your volumes. Using any of the
previous strategies can make the system more resistant to hardware being
enumerated in a different order on a different machine.

Good luck,
wt
--
Warren Turkal (w00t)