[NCLUG] Hard drive only Linux install.

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Thu Dec 21 02:11:25 MST 2006

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 06:39:15PM -0700, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 09:46:06AM -0700, Darrin Goodman wrote:
> >hardly call myself an expert, but with having past experiences of installing
> >Gentoo and Debian [...], my understanding of the install process is that
> >the OS is compiled specifically for the machine that you are performing the
>
> To be precise, doesn't Gentoo compile the binaries specifically for a
> set of particular USE_* and compiler flags.  This is influenced by the
> knowledge of the installer (both the software and wetware components).
>
> To illustrate the how this is different, a friend of mine that runs Gentoo
> spent the better part of a week trying to get it to suspend on his laptop,
> by tweaking USE and compiler flags and kernel options.  Where my laptop (of
> exactly the same model) Just Worked (tm) under Fedora and Ubuntu with
> suspend.
>
> So who's install more closely matched their hardware?  ;-)

Probably his, by the time he was done -- but that doesn't change the
fact that I'd much prefer to use Fedora than spend a friggin' week
trying to get something compiled so that it worked, all else being
equal.

"It's just incredible that a trillion-synapse computer could actually
spend Saturday afternoon watching a football game." - Marvin Minsky