[NCLUG] Looking for Linux device driver book

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Tue Feb 21 14:09:47 MST 2006

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 07:26:00PM +0000, bsimpson at att.net wrote:
> I am considering porting a device driver written for the
> 2.4 kernel to a 2.6 kernel.  I have never done any Linux
> device drivers before, so I am looking for a good book
> on the subject.  Any recommendations?

I've heard good things about O'Reilly's "Linux Device Drivers", though
you'll want to double-check to make sure the current edition covers 2.6
kernels before shelling out cash.

There are a lot of resources on the Internet for dealing with Linux
device drivers, believe it or not.  Do a Google search for "device
drivers linux" without the quotes and you'll find a couple of online
books (including an online free version of the previously mentioned
O'Reilly book) and some other references.  I can't vouch for the quality
of any of them, unfortunately.

"The ability to quote is a serviceable
substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham