[NCLUG] Software WEP/WPA in Linux gateway?

Marcio Luis Teixeira marciot at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 31 21:09:21 MDT 2006

I just wanted to thank the folks who replied to my question and provide a short summary of the solutions.

Ken suggested using a DHCP server to assign clients to different subnets depending on MACs. This solution I had already considered, but I was a bit concerned about how easy it would be for someone to set up a static address and join my private network.

Warren suggested using multiple SSIDs. I wasn't aware that such a thing could be done, mostly because I haven't had experience with enterprise class access points, just the home versions that can't do this. However, a bit of googling suggested that the upcoming version of dd-wrt (v24) for the Linksys WRT54G will support multiple SSIDs *and* will allow different encryption settings for different SSIDs. This is precisely what I am looking for, *and* I already have a WRT54G :) So when the new version comes out, I'm set :)

Anyhow, thanks for the suggestions everyone!

-- Marcio