[NCLUG] Server-to-Server backups

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Mon Jun 26 20:19:11 MDT 2006

DJ Eshelman wrote:
> Hey all...
>
> Ideally we'd like to configure the servers to just simply backup their hard
> drives to the other server's second drive - we figure that would be a good
> level of redundant ability.  This is all easy enough, I suppose, but
> there's
> one little catch:  We're limited in bandwidth to about 2000GB per month.
> Now, I know what you're saying - what is the big deal?  That's a lot of
> bandwidth!  But aside from the bandwidth we'd also not like this process to
> consume a horribly long amount of time.

I usually stage a backup image to local disk (e.g. "copy" local files
using rsync, use various products' custom backup/export/snapshot scripts
etc.), and then use an application called rsync to "copy" it to other
server(s).

rsync will do incremental copy-only-what-changed style backups (not only
copying just files that changed, but also copying just the blocks within
those files that changed)

It's also pretty easy to store N recent hard-linked copies for backup
history too - either via pre-written solutions like
http://www.math.ualberta.ca/imaging/rlbackup/ (google rsync backup link
or something like that), or custom scripts.