[NCLUG] Question regarding resizing ext3 filesystems

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Sat Mar 11 18:13:01 MST 2006

Jeffrey D. Means wrote:
> I would really like to resize the partition, on the same physical
> disk I have (now) unused 100Gb of space that I would like to set
> aside some for this rapidly growing partition.
> Your thoughts on what would be the best route though would be much
> appreciated.

If you have the space on the disk and can grow your root then that
might be simplest.  As Doug Holland just suggested in another note,
booting Knoppix and using a parition editor should work.  I have not
done that myself and so can't add too much information.  But it should
work.

In that kind of situation with lots of free space you could make a new
partition of the right size and then copy your / to the new partition.
Then boot the new partition as your root partition.  This is slighty
safer because your old partition stays untouched and remains as a
backup.  Again, this can be done online with a running system (done
that many times) but is more correctly done with the system offline
such as from a Knoppix boot.

Bob