[NCLUG] Network Driver?

Rich Young rich at experienceplus.com
Thu Mar 16 23:01:06 MST 2006

I'm trying to get my onboard NIC to work and having trouble. My details:

Asus K8UX motherboard with the ALI M5263 network controller
Fedora FC4, not patched.

In the network device controller, the NIC is recognizes and I can
configure it just fine - it just won't negotiate DHCP, which is the
first step when I'm activating the device.  A little playing with ping
indicates that there's no connection to anything, but I have a known
good cable modem on the other end of the wire.

A little googling indicates that this NIC uses the uli526x driver, which
may or may not be bundled with the tulip driver package.  There are
apparently some issues with a typo in the uli526x driver recently,
including some problems recognizing whether or not there's a link
present.  So I think I'm on to something and would like to get an
updated driver.  But I can't seem to find an actual copy of the driver,
and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Anyone have any advice?  I'm considering just throwing in a PCI card
instead of struggling with this onboard stuff, but it's frustrating to
have to do that.