[NCLUG] DSL Throttling or General Congestion?

Matt Taggart matt at lackof.org
Fri Nov 17 18:19:18 MST 2006

"F.L. Whiteley" writes...

> Any comments from Qwest or Qwest/MSN users?

First thing, check on the modem web interface what up/down rate it is
connecting at. Are you getting the rate you are subscribed at?

Here are some things to try,

1.) Upgrade the firmware of the Actiontec modem. I know early versions had
some issues and a firmware problem might explain the differences you are
seeing between sites.

Be careful though, I tried upgrading mine via the web interface and the
upgrade failed(I'm not sure that method works, Qwest doesn't mention it as an
option). Recovering from the failure took a little work but I finally got the
latest firmware installed. It seems to be doing pretty OK, now, but if I keep
the upload at a high rate constantly it locks up after about a day.

I have the Actiontec gt701-wg, here are some useful links

http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/ActiontecGT701
http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/ADAM2
http://www.nettwerked.net/actiontec.html
http://sub.st/articles/hacking-the-actiontec-gt701/

I was able to do everything I needed using on Linux.

2.) Do you have the filters installed at every phone? I discovered a missing
filter on one phone that was causing my modem to connect at a slower speed.

3.) Is the phone line clean? Are all the connections good and you don't have a
bunch of unused loops making things worse? A lot of old houses have crappy
lines running to lots of places that you probably don't need if you use
cordless phones.

4.) If none of the above then it sounds like maybe a qwest problem and when
you call them you can tell them how you checked all the above stuff and it
still sucks.

Good luck,

--
Matt Taggart