[NCLUG] DSL Throttling or General Congestion?

Michael Milligan milli at acmeps.com
Tue Nov 21 09:29:12 MST 2006

F.L. Whiteley wrote:
> Hi Onyx,
>
> Hope you're well and best of the season.
>
> I agree, nothing of the sort of FRII.  I may have a chance to look at
> this MSN/Qwest DSL account again before long and take some tools and
> links to test it out.  It's close to my location and across the street
> from the 256k customer.  So far, no one else is confirming, so it may
> have been an anomaly.

I can confirm issues with Qwest DSL where I am located (North of Ft.
Collins) due to congestion periods which happen every damn day starting
early evening and lasting till early morning, sometimes late into the
morning the next day.  I have been tracking this with smokeping for many
months and bandwidth tests during the congestion times confirm the
available bandwidth shrinks from 160Kb/s down to 30-50Kb/s range with
delay jumping from 30ms to 250ms to my first-hop gateway.  It really
sucks bad some nights.  ISP (foreThought.net) says it's Qwest's problem.
 Qwest (still operating as Useless Waste obviously) is not helpful.  I
am 90% sure it's an oversubscribed RT, but even if it is, I just don't
think they care enough to upgrade the uplink to 6M unless some
competition comes into my area...  I really wish Comcast would run lines
into my subdivision!

Regards,
Mike

Michael Milligan                                   -> milli at acmeps.com
Acme Professional Services LLC                        970-581-9948