[NCLUG] More info on CACert on Tuesday.

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sun Sep 10 21:23:51 MDT 2006

Where: NCLUG on Tuesday, starting at 5:30
What: Bring two forms of ID (drivers license, SSN card, Birth Certificate,
   Ralph's Card, Passport, INS or other government issued cards).
Preferably: Create your account at http://cacert.org/ beforehand so we
   can instantly assure you.

Again, Tuesday we will be doing some CACert assuring.  CACert, if you are
not familiar with it, CACert (http://cacert.org/) is a free alternative to
other certificate signing companies like Verisign, Thawte, etc.  It uses a
community of local assurers, much like Notaries, to provide signed
certificates, etc.

Fort Collins, until last week, had only one such assurer, which wasn't
enough to get anything certified, let alone bring on other assurers.

I have gotten my assurance, which allowed someone who hooked up the 2
assurers in Fort Collins to get a SSL cert signed, but not many other
things, like brining in new assurers.  It also required that people
schedule meetings with two different people, who never are together in the
same place.

I've got some folks from Hacking Society who have offered to become CACert
assured, and am hoping to get some people from NCLUG to also get assured,
so that we can have enough points at pretty much any Tuesday night that
someone could show up and get a cert signed or get themselves assured.

To that end, I have gotten what they call a "super assurer" status.  This
status is *TEMPORARY*, but with it I can assure people much faster than the
normal track.  The normal track is that you must have *AT LEAST* 3 people
assure you, and then you must assure 25 other people.

You need at least 100 points to become an assurer, and you can only obtain
a maximum of 100 points by meeting with other assurers.  Then you get 2
points for each person you assure, up to the maximum of 150.

I have the ability to boost people up to 150 points right away, but
probably only Tuesday.  If you want the fast track to getting assurer
status, be there or be square on Tuesday.

Bring two forms of ID, and if possible create your account at
http://cacert.org/.  If you want to get some experience certifying other
people, just ask, I'm sure others will be willing to join your web of
trust.

See the cacert.org site or http://www.colug.net/cacert/ for more details on
this all.  And if you're interested, let me know so I know how many people
are planning on it.

 "I feel lazy, but..."  "... but it's a hyper kind of lazy?"  "Yeah!"
                -- Ines and Sean, 2002