[NCLUG] spam help

Jake Edge jake at edge2.net
Sun Sep 10 22:00:53 MDT 2006

Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> In a featured e-mail server, users can control SPF checking for their
> individual mailbox.  As I understand it, that is what Bob was saying.
> vPostMaster absolutely does allow an individual user to turn on or off SPF
> for their single address.

ahh, my apologies, i misunderstood ...

> If you want to winge about SPF because it doesn't follow your definition of
> "anti-spam measures", then you aren't helping things.  What is your
> motivation for detracting from SPF because of terminology lawyering?  SPF
> helps reduce the amount of crap I have to deal with as both an e-mail
> server administrator and as an e-mail consumer.  And it does a great job of
> it.

I was unaware that i was whining ... if so, again, my apologies ... i
was attempting to point out *legitimate* *technical* issues with SPF ...

I was trying to point out that your use of SPF, while it may help you,
affects downstream users of your email in ways that are not necessarily
obvious ... perhaps you understand all of that, but I suspect there may
be folks reading this who don't (and hopefully do now) ...

> If they have SPF enabled on their final destination, and don't forward
> e-mail using SRS, then they have improperly configured either the final
> destination (and should disable SPF or whitelist the intermediary server),
> or the forwarding host (where they should be using SRS).

again, many email users do not have control over what policies their
email providers adopt ... as i understand it, SRS has very few adoptees
and some mail admins make carte blanche decisions about what their users
can or cannot get (i.e. if it fails SPF, we route it to /dev/null) ...

it is fairly disingenuous to suggest that lack of SRS support at a
forwarding MTA is simply a misconfiguration ... SRS requires that the
MTA be altered to implement it ... and as i said in the other note,
widespread adoption, because of resistance to envelope sender rewriting,
is a long way off (if ever) ...

jake

--
Jake Edge - jake at edge2.net - http://www.edge2.net