[NCLUG] spam help

DJ Eshelman djsbignews at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 16:39:22 MDT 2006

Based on my experiences, especially with small businesses trying to email
their clients who have AOL addresses, is that this would be a much better
approach.

Hotmail does this already in a fashion, and frankly I'd be more comfortable
with it.  The All-Or-Nothing approach will do nothing but hurt smaller
businesses that don't have the resources.  Further, it would have the
potential to cause mail filtering houses like MX Logic a lot of trouble if
people don't manage their SPF records properly (MX Logic is pushing hard to
get into the outbound mail filtering market).

But my primary problem right now is that most ISPs that do DNS hosting
(Cbeyond for example) don't know how to even let people add SPF records.

It's not perfect by any means, but I agree with Sean - it's way better than
doing nothing.  As far as forwarding and such, it's all about resetting your
expectations.  Getting Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail to change their email
policies is never going to happen.  And surely most of us have dealt with
AOL's new email acceptance policies.

And frankly - as I'm looking at one of servers that is still being pelted
with MX transactions from some virus out there (it's been going on for
weeks- fortunately, port 25 is blocked so all we have to deal with is the
loss of bandwidth for the requests and the 8GB syslog) - I think viruses are
a much bigger problem that SPF records won't always fix- most everything is
in the hands of having good admins at every IP connection in the world (good
luck).

good discussions tho!

most activity I've seen on this list in weeks!

-DJ