[NCLUG] Encrypted Filesystems?

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Sun Apr 15 18:02:37 MDT 2007

Chad Perrin wrote:
> Have you considered creating a /mnt/encrypted (or wherever you want it)
> filesystem, then creating a symlink to it in your home directory for
> easy and effectively transparent access?

Yes.  I had a gramatical typo though and said "link of of it" instead
of "link out of it" and so made no sense.  But that is what I was
thinking.  Although lately I have gotten to like 'bind' mounts because
then they don't look like a symlink and depending upon the software
having 'pwd' look like it really is there is often advantageous.

> Do you have a reliable means of recovering your data if something goes
> wrong with your encrypted filesystem?  Since you're talking about using
> an encrypted filesystem on a laptop in case of theft, I tend to assume
> you don't feel a need to encrypt the same data at home.

Right.  I back the data up to a raid fileserver at home.  Although
mostly I simply check in the files that I am concerned about and would
normally just work from version control.  If the laptop disk crashes
then I rebuild a new disk and restore the data, either by checkout or
by restore from backup.

Thanks for the input.

Bob