[NCLUG] Encrypted Filesystems?

jeff jeff at themoes.org
Wed Apr 18 15:59:02 MDT 2007

Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 09:29:46AM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
>> benchmark.  Less cpu means more battery.  So if someone is optimizing
>
> I've not noticed any change in battery life with the crypted FS.  As I
> said, it's rarely noticeable that the crypto is happening.
>
>> Since I was using the installer and it had built in support for
>
> FC6 does not have that support.  I have heard newer Ubuntu and Debians have
> it, but I haven't tried it there.  I haven't checked to see if F7 will have
> it.

FC7 will not have full disk encryption in anaconda, at least last I saw (a
couple months ago).

I have been doing full disk encryption on Fedora based systems for a few
releases now. I concur that one just doesn't "see" much overhead in day-to-day
usage. I have a T42.

I wrote some docs on how to do full disk encryption by booting off a USB drive
and having the GPG key on the USB drive. This way you need both the USB drive
and the password to boot ("something you have, something you know"...).

The doc is reasonably up-to-date:
http://wiki.blagblagblag.org/Encrypting_Root_Filesystem

You can just s/BLAG/Fedora

-Jeff