[NCLUG] Encrypted Filesystems?

Michael Milligan milli at acmeps.com
Thu Apr 19 03:12:31 MDT 2007

Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 09:29:46AM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
>> benchmark.  Less cpu means more battery.  So if someone is optimizing
>
> I've not noticed any change in battery life with the crypted FS.  As I
> said, it's rarely noticeable that the crypto is happening.
>
>> Since I was using the installer and it had built in support for
>
> FC6 does not have that support.  I have heard newer Ubuntu and Debians have
> it, but I haven't tried it there.

Ubuntu does, since last October ("Edgy" release).  Even integrated with
Gnome... pops a password dialog and does the rest auto-magically.

I haven't gone so far as to encrypt /home or even /... I just have all
my password files, browser persistent storage, gpg info, and ssh keys
stored on an encrypted USB stick.  Everything else critical is on other
boxes or my AFS file servers.  The laptop is generally used for
temporary storage of customer and other sensitive files.

If someone steals my laptop, that someone will be tracked down and
removed from the gene pool.  Such bad behavior is intolerable.  ;-)

Regards,
Mike

Michael Milligan                                   -> milli at acmeps.com
Acme Professional Services LLC                        970-581-9948