[NCLUG] Apparently, I'm a Spammer - Now What?

Rich Young rich at experienceplus.com
Wed Apr 25 20:40:42 MDT 2007

I believe I've found it - a forgotten installation of Coppermine Gallery
was apparently getting slammed on an arbitrary code execution
vulnerability detailed here:
http://securitytracker.com/alerts/2006/Feb/1015646.html
Web logs show a huge glut of calls to the vulnerable file over the last
couple days.

I deleted the entire gallery directory. (We don't need it, and I have
today's backup of it for forensic purposes.)  I've also added a rule to
our firewall denying transmission to outbound email from this machine,
which I can do as its only intended mail traffic stays within our LAN.

I'm afraid I will have to reinstall the OS from scratch just to be safe,
since this was a code execution exploit.  Does anyone see any
alternatives to that?  I mean, the time it takes to reinstall is trivial
to the time it would take to ensure that there's no lasting effect of
the exploit, right?

I'm Rich Young, and I approved this message.