[NCLUG] permanent IP addresses on a home LAN?

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Wed Aug 1 01:05:31 MDT 2007

S. Luke Jones wrote:
> outage and machines come back online in nondeterministic order, and
> get IP addresses at random, and all my .ssh/known_hosts lines become
> wrong, and I have to think a lot harder before I do things like rsync
> -av --delete . 192.168.2.101:work

You might want to set this in your ssh configuration.  It will avoid
logging the IP address in the ssh known hosts file subsequently.  If
the IP address is not important then this is a good solution.

  CheckHostIP no

And you can set that on a host by host basis with wildcards.

  Host *.example.com
    CheckHostIP no

In OpenSSH the _first_ configuration matched for an item wins.

Bob