[NCLUG] permanent IP addresses on a home LAN?

dlc at frii.com dlc at frii.com
Wed Aug 1 09:29:01 MDT 2007

  Perhaps the quick and easy way to accomplish this is to just set your
systems up with a fixed IP address and ignore the DHCP.  Since DHCP
seems to assign starting with the low numbers first, what I did was put
those machines that I wanted to keep at fixed addresses in the .200+
range.  Things like file and print servers for instance.  Those then
remain at those addresses (the DHCP server doesn't care) and everything
else is assigned addresses down in the 100 range (on my DLink anyway).

  It is a hassle when you don't want to figure out how your computer sets
this value, and would rather have something else sort it out, but if the
alternative is to get a $1000 router or a potentially risky firmware
replacement, then perhaps the brute-force method would be worth it.

  I'll apologize ahead if this has already been stated, I got into the
discussion a bit late in the game...

DLC