[NCLUG] gnome-open configuration or alternative

S. Luke Jones slukejones at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 15:19:12 MDT 2007

I use a mac much of the time and I like its "open" command, which
figures out what the right application is to open a file, so I can use
it to open .html, .png, .pdf, .doc, .txt files one after another and
open different apps each time.

Gnome has something like it (gnome-open) but I can't find any
documentation on it (either on google or in /usr/share/doc/*. And of
course, G-projects being who they are, there aren't any man pages
either.). Anyway, I was wondering if anybody knows either of two
things:

(1) how to configure gnome-open. I'd like it to default to gvim if no
app is specified. Nothing wrong with gedit, you understand, but I used
emacs for 15 years and now vim for almost that long and I don't plan
to ever learn a third editor. :-)

(2) a non-gnome-specific alternative, ideally with a simple .openrc
file or something like that where I could assign a specific
app-opening command for each file type.

Ideas?
--
Luke Jones  slukejones at gmail.com (760) 365-3404