[NCLUG] Fedora Core Stuff

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Jan 4 01:12:50 MST 2007

On Mon, Jan 01, 2007 at 03:02:22PM -0700, David Braley wrote:
>How nicely does Fedora play when upgrading between major releases like
>from 4 to 5, or from 5 to 6? Is a fresh install the best way to go? I am

The CD upgrade tends to be pretty good.  When we were doing monthly updates
on CD for RH/Fedora, we always tested the CD upgrade and made sure it
worked.  We had users who literally did the CD upgrade every month on their
machines.

As Kevin mentioned, the yum upgrade has worked.  I did that recently on my
laptop and had good luck with it.

Either way, you should have backups of anything that's important.

If you are installing cruft without using RPM, or from repositories other
than the standard ones, you may run into some issues doing the upgrades
either way, and may want (or even need) to go back and do the fresh
install.  The more you use standard packages, the less an issue that is.

 "I feel so insignificant...  Like people are laughing at me."
 "You--You ARE a clown..."  -- Bob Newhart