[NCLUG] Intel open source drivers

Michael Milligan milli at acmeps.com
Fri Jan 26 00:48:25 MST 2007

Chad Perrin wrote:
> Is there anyone out there that actively seeks out Intel chipsets for 3D
> accelerated graphics adapters and wireless networking adapters, for
> purposes of more easily getting full functionality and/or supporting the
> only major hardware vendor providing open source drivers for these
> products?  I wonder why I don't hear more about it, if so.  I wonder why
> not, if not.

On the point of graphics, I can't think of a time I've had a /need/ for
an Intel 3D graphics driver.  In servers, who cares, a text console is
all I /need/.  On any desktop boxes I've built, I don't bother with
Intel 3D because nVidia and ATI are so far ahead, so I don't /need/ an
Intel driver there.  And I prefer nVidia over ATI for their proprietary
driver stability/reliability.  nVidia has decent QA there.  Can't say
the same for ATI.  In laptops, I'm a Stinkpad fan, so I've had to deal
only with ATI there.

I can't comment on the wireless front because I've always gone with
cards that are Prism- or Atheros-chipset based.

Proprietary drivers are a pain.

Regards,
Mike

Michael Milligan                                   -> milli at acmeps.com
Acme Professional Services LLC                        970-581-9948