[NCLUG] setting up wireless to use dns

nclug at iherr.com nclug at iherr.com
Thu Jul 19 13:31:39 MDT 2007

Anyone have expertise in DNS-related and/or wireless networking stuff?

I'm trying to get an embedded linux system to use an 802.11b adapter for networking instead of the built-in 10/100
ethernet jack. I've got the wireless link up, using the wireless-tools package and specific commands in my /etc/init.d
scripts like the following:

/sbin/iwconfig wlan0 key open xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (my 128-bit hex key)
/sbin/ifup wlan0
/sbin/route add -net default gw 192.168.1.1

And I'm using "dhclient wlan0" to get an IP address from the router.

With only the wireless link connected (i.e., "wlan0" and not the built-in "eth0"), I can successfully ping IP addresses
inside and outside the LAN. I can ssh into the box and out from the box by IP address. But I don't have DNS working
to resolve hostnames/URLs. My embedded linux box is based on a necessary-files-only debian-based filesystem that is
stored on a small flash drive (the current filesystem usage is about 400MB).

When eth0 is enabled, it works fine with the current filesystem and is able to resolve hostnames, but with wlan0 only
enabled, it can't resolve hostnames.

So my question is... what exact files and/or scripts do I need to make the DNS resolving work? I've got the following
for my /etc/resolv.conf:

search Belkin
nameserver 192.168.1.1

And here's my "netstat -r" routing table:
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U         0 0          0 wlan0
127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U         0 0          0 lo
default         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG        0 0          0 wlan0

The error I get when trying to ping a host by name is as follows:

~]# ping www.google.com
ping: www.google.com: Unknown server error
~]#

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if I should post the contents of any particular scripts or files.

Thanks,
Daniel